This is something I've been talking about a lot this year (most recently in my last IDM article about mobile knowledge management) so its satisfying to see a big analyst firm like Gartner - as reported in Computerworld - now saying the same thing that I've long suspected - corporate IT needs to keep an eye on the consumer technology innovation.
According to Gartner there are five key reasons for keeping an eye on consumer technology:
- Consumer technology impacts employees;
- It can provide clear cost advantages over traditional corporate hardware and software;
- Potential employees will know all about it;
- Customers will already be using it; and
- If you try to stop your employees using consumer technology for work, it will backfire.