Thinking of completing a Knowledge Audit? Here is a list of recommended reading – where possible I’ve provided links, however unfortunately quite a few are behind journal paywalls:
- Bailey, C. and Clarke, M., 2000, ‘How do managers use knowledge about knowledge management’, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp.235-243.
- Beckett, R. and Murray, P., 2000, ‘Learning by auditing: a knowledge creating approach’, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.125-136.
- Calvert, M., 2001, ‘CEO Update: Measuring the Success of Enterprise Knowledge Management’, The Monthly Research Review, Gartner, Jan. 2001, pp..5-7.
- Carlopio, J., 1998, ‘Implementing Innovation and Technical Change’, Training and Development Australia, Feb. 1998, pp.9-10.
- Cross, R., Parker, A., Prusack, L., Borgatti, S. P., 2001, ‘Knowing What We Know: Supporting Knowledge Creation and Sharing in Social Networks’ [PDF], Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.100-120.
- Dubois, C. P. R., 1995, ‘The information audit: its contribution to decision making’, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp.20-24.
- Funes, M. and Johnson, N., 1998, Honing Your Knowledge Skills: A Route Map, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Liebowitz J. et al, ‘The Knowledge Audit’, Knowledge and Process Management, Vol. 7, Issue 1, pp.3-10.
- Porter, M. E., 1998, Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Free Press.
- Rao, R., 2003, ‘From Unstructured Data to Actionable Intelligence’ [PDF], IT Pro, Nov-Dec 2003, pp.29-35.
- Swash, G. D., 1997, ‘The information audit’, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp.312-318.
- Ward, V., 1998, Mapping Meta Knowledge: A cartographic approach to finding knowledge about knowledge [PDF], Knowledge Management Review, Issue 5, pp.10-15.
- Wexler, M.N., 2001, The who, what and why of knowledge mapping, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 5, Number 3, pp.249-263.
I put this list together back in 2004 for a conference workshop on Knowledge Audits, so feel free to suggest some more recent resources as comments.