Call me cynical, but its not often that I find myself agreeing with a politician ;-) However a press release from the Australian Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, Senator Helen Coonan, telling us about new research that confirms "the level of benefit achieved from an ICT investment is largely a function of effective management" is music to my ears.
The key lessons appear to be that:
- You need clear, strategic reasons for the investment.
- You need to be knowledgeable about how ICT can best serve your organisation.
- You need clear, formal arrangements in place with ICT suppliers.
- You need to be patient and persistent in realising ICT benefits.
- You need to expect, and be positive about, organisational change.